Old 09-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Rusty Mase

Default Is sulphur powder the least costly way to lower PH ?

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:11:11 -0500, wrote:

That was my thinking as well, but the folks raising black berries
in this are assure me that applying 3# of powered sulphur per
50' row of berries will do the job. I'm gonna try it - can't hurt:-)

Actually, I think it can. Powdered sulfur is flammable so do not
smoke or get a flame near it until it has been wetted. That is why
products like Disposul and Victoria's Sul-po-mag (although we hardly
need additional magnesium in our soils) as it is granular.

Powdered sulfur also is more easily carried to your clothing, body,
etc., where it starts oxidizing to sulfur oxides, which stink badly.
Using any elemental sulfur material can lead to this stench so be
careful with the clothes you wear when you put out sulfur of any type.

Rusty Mase