Old 09-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Pam

Default Berberis Beyond Repair?

Bennett wrote:

Hi,

I have a couple of small (2'x2') berberis (crimson?) that appear to have
been hit hard by the winter here in NY NY. They've grown nicely for a few
years. Currently, though, only about 1/4t of one and 1/8th of the other have
folliage. They are mostly twigs.

Is there any hope of repairing these? If not I can go ahead and pull them
out now and use the space. If so how?

It is dang close to impossible to kill a barberry, specially Japanese barberry,
which is hardy and prolific to the point of being a dangerous invasive in many
parts of this country. Prune them back hard to where you see new growth and
foliage emerging, keep them well watered through summer and you could try a bit
of organic, all purpose fertilizer or compost tea. They should bounce back
easily. I have pruned overlooked, nursery neglected barberries down to mere nubs
only to have them develop into lush, healthy shrubs in just a couple of seasons.

pam - gardengal