Old 09-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Repeating Decimal

Default Aphid in greenhouse solutions?

in article , Pat Meadows at
wrote on 6/8/03 12:20 PM:

I have posted previously on what I think about the organic scam.

Nevertheless, I think it can be done. Potassium (Safer brand) soap solution
will do the job. If you are a true organic nut, you can do it yourself. I
have not tried it.

You know, Bill, your attitude doesn't encourage those of us
who are organic gardeners to have a conversation with you.

You don't need to subscribe to something yourself to be
respectful of other's beliefs.

I am totally uninterested in defending just why I am an
organic gardener, I have good and sufficient reason to
prefer to be one. But I'm not about to debate it with you
(or anyone else) on a newsgroup. No way.

So maybe you'd like try to be a little less trollish?

I do not have problems with other people trying to be organic per se. It is
just that I have no understanding of just what organic means in such a
context. My scientific background values internal consistency in a set of
rules or values. I am not getting it. It seems to me that growing organic
food is a religion. your reply tends to confirm that. You are free to
practice your religion. I am free not to.

Nevertheless, I really do wish to understand just what *organic* means to
its practitioners. I don't like to use pesticides unnecessarily either. On
the other hand, If something makes no sense scientifically, I will point
that out. For example, is Safer soap organic? On what basis. If Safer soap
is organic, why not sodium soap even if it is not the greatest substance to
put on soil?

One principle exposed by Cole, author of the book IIRC "Professional
Suicide," subtitled "and how your company helps you commit it is: "Don't ask
you boss what you are supposed to do. It only points out to him/her that the
boss is insecure when you ask because the boss is unlikely to the his job
description as well. I am asking. What makes an organic gardener organic?

Bill