Old 09-06-2003, 08:44 AM
TheScullster

Default Potatoes - Is it worth it?

I have just removed a row of Blue Lawson conifers from a border bounding my
front/side garden.
I am told that I should wait for October to get bare root stock hedging
plants and therefore have some land to spare.

I thought it might be worth sticking some tatties in in the mean time.
These would use the land and help to keep the border defined as it is
adjacent to a public footpath.

Is it worth the effort considering the following?:

The border has been stripped of nourishment by the conifers which have been
there for 15 years minimum.
I will be adding fresh, not rotted manure to the bed (that's all that's
available at reasonable price).
The bed is workable down to 1 fork depth only - beyond that is boulder clay.
Half of the border is in partial shade - 3 hours max per day.
Despite slaving all weekend, there are still many roots.

I'm not bothered about having earth shattering yield, but have heard that
the movement associated with planting and harvesting help to improve the
soil.
Will there be any latent pests as a result of the previous inhabitants that
are likely to cause problems?

Finally, if the answer is to the question "is it worth it?" is yes, which
variety are most likely to succeed?

Thanks in anticipation

Phil