Old 09-06-2003, 09:20 AM
jane

Default What's eating my plants?

On 07 Jun 2003 01:53:42 GMT, (Jack1000) wrote:

~ I know this is going to sound crazy, but try beer.
~
~
~The bad thing about beer is that it will also attract slugs and snails from all
~around your garden but not all of them will stop for a drink.
~

The long running radio show BBC Gardeners' Question Time recently did
a survey of beer traps and techniques. Over a two-week period they put
down identical traps (deep saucers or pots with half an inch standing
clear of the surface to prevent 'good' ground beetles falling in)
filled with either stout (Guinness), lager, milk or water.
The Guinness far and away won, dispatching over double the slugs that
the milk did. Lager was third and water was last (as it was the
control, that's not surprising).

In the second week of the trial they caught significantly fewer slugs!
I now have a tin of the eponymous brew waiting to go up to my patch...

Good luck

--
jane

Mark Twain