Old 09-06-2003, 09:20 AM
BAC

Default Conversion of farmland to garden

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
There have been a few high profile cases, and, technically, it is

correct
that one should obtain planning consent for change of use, before the

event,
but I wonder how many people have made such a change informally in the

past
and got away with it?

It undoubtedly happens all the time. That is not to say that it is wise to
do so. The difficulty arises now because of a recent court case where
unauthorised work had been done. As a result any prudent solicitor will
require written confirmation that all building regulation and planning
permissions have been granted. Making a false declaration can prove very
costly. If I recall correctly the case referred to cost the vendor some
£67,000 in compensation and costs.

I'm glad to hear that such enquiries are now being made as a matter of
course at conveyancing stage, since it is unreasonable to 'stick' the
purchaser with the consequences of a predecessor's omissions. However, if
the predecessor merely wished to occupy some additional land as garden for
his own enjoyment during his period of ownership, he will have achieved
that, whereas if he had applied for consent at the outset, he might not.