Old 09-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Lavender transplanting tips please

"Shirl" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone give me any advice to help ensure it survives please? I have
been trying to read up (complete garden novice) and i've read that it may

be
advantagous to cut all the flowers off so that it can concentrate on

making
new roots. What do people think of this? (I wouldnt be so sad as one of
the reasons I wanted it was for the flower heads)

Transplanting now will have put the plant under maximum stress. It needs to
take up water to transpire through its leaves - in transplanting you have
broken all the small fibrous roots through which water is taken into the
plant!

I'd cut back the plant taking off the flowers and new soft growth - DO NOT
cut back into the woody growth. Sacrifice this years flowers for next year.

You also need to give it water. But be careful not too much/too often it
hates sitting in damp soil. (;-) Better to keep it on the dry side rather
than too wet.

pk