Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 AM
JK

Default eating vegetables grown in London garden

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:
"JK" wrote in message
I live in a fairly urban bit of London and I'd like to know if it's
safe to eat things that have grown in my garden. It's not directly
near any roads or anything, but I always wonder abuot the general
level of pollution in cities and whether it renders veg inedible?
Specifically right now I want to make some elderflower cordial from
the elderflowers in the garden.

If it's not near any very busy roads you would have to look at
previous uses for the land to find pollution, lead working, arsenic,
asbestos etc. Perhaps your Council would do a check on your soil if
you have suspicions?
Even if it's near a road you will find that pollution stops rapidly
and does not travel too far from the carriageway, and any that does
can be washed off easily.

It's victorian housing, so anything that might have been there would have
been over 100 years ago. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go ahead.