Old 09-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Rachel de Thame and national collections

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"Helen" wrote in message
m...
There are more important things in life to get heated up about than
whether Rachel De Thame said 'species' instead of 'type'....or even
'geno-type'.
I like her. I think the newly revamped Gardener's World with Monty
Don is good. Anyway, he became a hero of mine after I read an article
of his about apples and apple trees in one of the colour magazines.
He has his heart in it and I believe Rachel De Thame does too.

I'm assuming that this woman is on television - which we don't have.

Nevertheless, if she's featuring as an expert she ought to get things
right. Entertainment isn't as important as accuracy ...

You have a right to your opinion, but I can sympathise with TV program-
makers who decide not to listen to it ;-).

TV (which I watch with enthusiasm) is all about entertainment, and I do not
expect it to be particularly accurate in any field. As more and more
channels are created and have to be filled, it will probably get less
accurate still.

Those that care will look up the information in an authoritative source, if
there is one, and learn much more that way, and the rest will not notice
one way or the other.

I discovered when I got to university that pretty much everything I'd been
taught about my degree subject at A level was wrong. Probably if I'd gone
on to do a D.Phil I'd have discovered even more wrongnesses at degree
level.

I am sure that I am completely deluded about subjects I only have an O
level in, and as for stuff like gardening that I have never been taught at
all! Well I should probably give up on that now.

Life is full of being wrong: don't let it get to you.

Victoria