Old 09-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Billy

Default Back Yard is like Swamp - Advice on Water Redirection

I just bought a resale home and found that the back yard is like a swamp.
The neighbor behind me, to the left and to the right of me are on higher
ground and slightly sloped toward my back yard, and the rear neighbor had
their lot re-graded and piped in the past to direct water my way.

My back yard is completely flat and slightly lower, with a sloped down front
yard away from the house. Many parts of the lawn to the rear and center of
the yard bulge with water puddles after moderate rainfall, and the water
does not move. Additionally, we have a 35x25 patio with a negative pitch
toward the home causing water to sit against the house with no place to go
but in. Last week, the water sat there like a pool almost up to my ankles!

The good news is that I have a drainage easement on my property, and there's
a grate in the far corner of my yard to accept water if I was to redirect it
to it. A Mason/Landscaper advised a buried perforated pipe and crushed stone
drainage system throughout the yard, at an incredible cost. He said he would
draw out maps of the drain pipes, etc ... the whole bit.

I want to know if anyone with this problem has tackled this, and if there is
any DIY option. If you have any "how to" web sites or info on installing
this type of drainage system or regarding these types of issues and
solutions, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm good with yard work and tools, if
I need to rent a digger and have stones and pipe delivered to save
thousands, I'll do it - I just need help on where to go to learn how.