Old 09-06-2003, 06:32 PM
FarmerDill

Default Peach Trees From Pits?

That may be true. But how many run-of-the-mill pits have to brown into trees
before you get a tree with fruit that works in your area and which you are
willing to consume?

Bill

Having been a child of the depression, I have done hundreds of peach pit trees,
Never had one where the peaches were inedible to the point where I was not
willing to consume them. If the tree starts off well, they will be vigorous
enough, of couse some will have small fruits ( we use to call them plum peaches
and pickle them whole), many be clingstone, and flavor and texture will have
wide variance, If you want a specific peach, yes buy a grafted tree. You can
graft onto the seedlings but bought trees utilized special grafting stock which
is more disease resistant. If you like variety and the surprise prize then
starting trees from pits can be fun. We did it because we were too poor to buy
trees, although I still occasionally stick peach pits in a flower bed and grow
out a seedling or two, just to remind me from whence I came.