Old 09-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Nedra

Default Chlorine, Bio, and charcaol filters

Make the phone call!! No way a test kit is going to be as
accurate. Put the AmQuel - if its chloramines you want to
kill - or DeChlor if its Chlorine. Please put the AmQuel/
DeChlor in the pond as you fill it .... not afterward.

Nedra

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
Thanks.... sounds like something I need to look into, maybe a call to City
Hall. I know what you mean about being able to smell the
chlorine/chloramine in water in some homes, I have experienced that, but
never in this house. Think I'll stick one of those water-testing test
strips in some tap water and see if anything registers..... not the most
accurate method, but if the level is terribly high, it might tell me that,
right?
Sue

"Sean Dinh" wrote in message
It depends on how much the water department added chlorine and

chloramines. In
SoCal, my tap water was quite clean. My parents did 100% water change

and
no
fish died. There were 6 4" koi and 2 3" GF in a 20 gallon aquarium. The

city
raised the level a few months ago. Someone lost a bunch of Koi because

of
water
change.

The water in Las Vegas is nasty. I can smell the chloramines when I'm

near
the
tap water. The bathroom always smell, due to the chloramines in an

enclosed
area. My friend killed all his koi when he forgot to turn off the tap

during top
off.

Sue Alexandre wrote:

Now I'm starting to worry about something I've never had on my "worry

list"
before. I've NEVER added anything like dechlor to my pond, and I do
partial water changes and topoffs often. The pond is about 4000

gallons,
and every time I do a skimmer/pump/filter cleaning (about every week

or
maybe a little less) I let a lot of water run out of the pond. I let

it go
down 4 or 5 inches at these times, and when I was installing the

skimmer
month or two ago I let a LOT more out than that. Then I fill it back

up
with the hose and don't worry about it. I've never lost a fish, and

the
water looks clean and clear 80% of the time. Should I be worried, or

is
there enough volume in my pond to dilute the topoffs?
Sue