Old 09-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Frogleg

Default Question About The Black Walnut Myth

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 11:31:33 GMT, (BroJack)
wrote:

The horticultural books say that the roots of juglans (walnuts)
release a poison that prevents other plants from growing near them.
Nonsense. In 30 years of observing them in my "wild" areas, I haven't
found this to be true.

Does anyone know the origin of this misinformation and why the books
keep repeating it?

With a wilderness of forsythia, ivy, violets, daffodils, vinca, grass,
pine trees, and heaven-knows-what growing over, under, around and
through a bunch of black walnut trees and their many offspring in my
back yard, I wondered about that, too. The problem, I believe, is that
the information is often presented as "*nothing* will grow around
black walnuts." Which is obviously false. Juglone 'poisoning' is
well-documented and I've come to believe it. There's not enough sun
under the trees to plant tomatoes anyhow.