Old 18-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Cereus question

In article ,
Vcoerulea wrote:

"Cereoid+10" wrote in message
igy.com...

Quite correct. However, that's not the point here. The above epiphytes have
general, common requirements as do the terrestrials. If gwayner just wants
help in growing the plant to blooming, that's all he needs to know. You can
call the plant an SOB for all the plant cares about names. There's no reason
on earth a person can't grow a plant without knowing its "real" name. The
general rules I listed earlier will help him grow just about any of the
species fitting the description of night blooming cereus.

Just ignore "Cereoid". Most of us do. About 95% of his posts are
efforts to 'prove' how superior he is by insulting other people in
childish ways, like making fun of their names, while he conceals his
own.

Thanks for the interesting and knowledgable information about growing
this group of epiphytic cacti. One thing you've left out is
information on your climate, and where you grow the plants - house,
greenhouse, or outdoors.

I've grown Epiphyllum oxypetalum a couple of times from cuttings, but
it's always gotten too big before it bloomed, so I've had to give it
away. I had an Epiphyllum 'Ackermanni' for some years which bloomed
spectacularly indoors in April-May every year if I put it outdoors for
a few months in the summer. I finally had to give that one away too,
because it was taking too much of my limited window space. I'm in
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

At any rate I wonder if one reason the original poster is having
trouble getting his plant to bloom is for lack of sufficient intense
light. Even if it's been in the same window all this time, 20 years is
enough for trees to grow big enough to obstruct light, etc. He might
consider putting it outdoors in warm weather, very gradually exposing
it to sunlight to prevent burning, and if he's in a very sunny climate,
keeping it in partial shade all the time it's out. I put my epiphytes
where they get sun from about 2pm on, and it's often cloudy or hazy
here in summer.