Old 09-06-2003, 09:20 PM
SugarChile

Default First-time Garener Reflections

Congratulations, you are now one of us 8-).

Re the rabbits--it depends on what you are growing. They usually leave
tomatoes and peppers alone. They are very fond of lettuce and other greens.
They will wait until your green beans have four sets of leaves, and you are
congratulating yourself on how well they are growing, to nip them off all
along the row. The only sure defense is a fence, but I've had some luck
with deterrents. Mothballs are a bad idea, they are fairly toxic and you
don't want them around your food. Cayenne pepper powder sprinkled right on
the leaves can help, and this year I'm experimenting with commercial Hot
Pepper Wax spray. You need to reapply after a heavy rain. Once the beans
get a bit larger and tougher, the rabbits generally leave them alone.
Rabbits are also very fond of clover, and I have watched my local rabbits
ignoring the garden to eat the clover in the lawn.

Good luck with your endeavors,
Cheers,
Sue