Old 09-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Gareth Jones

Default Solar lighting

In article , Martin Brown
writes
For the sort of solar lamps sold in supermarkets he was being optimistic.

Given enough solar panel area you can do it, but it isn't remotely cost
effective if mains power is available. Most are way under powered to cope with
anything like UK weather. They might (just might) work all night in midsummer
provided the daytime is fairly sunny. But cheap ones will murder their batteries
all too quickly. Amusing novelty...

It does depend on how much light you want. Our local Co-op has a four
pack solar light on a stick things for something like thirty quid.
We bought a few. One of them didn't work so I took it apart to fix it.
It uses a single ultrabright LED and two AA rechargeables.
I was a bit taken aback that it was only one LED because the light
intensity is much better than I had expected. I did a quick calc and
thought 'bugger me ... that should last for ages on a full charge!"
So I put it in a dark place and left it on. It not only stayed on
through the night, but all the next day as well! I gave up waiting in
the end and just thought 'that'll do for me' and stuck it in the garden.

For £30 I'd give it a go!

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from