Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
MOO112

Default sickly looking habanero

Hello,

I have written in the past about my back porch habanero pepper plant.
It has quite a bit of powdery mildew, and about 10 days ago I bought
some fungus control spray that is supposed to control future attacks.
It's hard to tell if the stuff has been effective, with only two
treatments in 8 days (every seven days it gets treated). Anyway, the
whole plant has seemed lethargic for several months now. Maybe it's
the mildew or something else. The leaves are less profuse than last
year, with the majority of the tips turning brown. And right now,
there are no peppers, and my neighbor's is loaded. The 2 and 1/2 year
old plant is about 2 feet tall, and rests in a huge pot thats about
16" deep, full of regular potting mix. It sits on the back porch,
where it gets to about 90 degrees in the day, and around 70 at night.
It gets direct sunlight in the afternoon hours, probably about 4 hours
or so total a day. I water it every couple of days, and I'm wondering
if the root system is too shallow to grab the water, as the soil is
16" deep. It gets some Miracle Grow once a month. I haven't churned up
the soil or otherwise aeriated it since it's been in the big pot,
probably about a year. Any doctoring ideas will be welcome.

Thanks,

Moo