Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Tony Karp

Default This Past Winter

"Kenneth G. Schwarz" wrote:

I garden in Montauk, NY, which is zone 7. We had a brutal winter with much
snow, which is unusual for Montauk. The spring has been unusually cool with
large amounts of rain almost every other day. In spite of what appears to
be the adverse weather conditions, my garden has never developed as much or
as early as it has this spring. Many of my perennials are twice as large as
last year. My shrubs, particularly the hydrangeas, are magnificant. Plants
that appeared to be struggling suddenly have exploded with new growth.
Plants have self-seeded and I now have things growing where none grew
before.

I'm in Queens, so we had about the same weather. The winter was hard on some of
the bamboo, but it seems to be recovering. Our tiny backyard has turned into a
meadow, with the clover I seeded last year finally taking hold.

I think that the constant rain hurt some of the new bamboo, which started
shooting at the beginning of May. On the few sunny days we've had, it grows
almost visibly.

Everything is slowly getting back to normal. We seem to be transitioning
directly from winter to summer, without much of a spring.

Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp

Visit our web sites:
Techno-Impressionist Museum: http://www.techno-impressionist.com
TLC Systems: http://www.tlc-systems.com