Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Dan Lawyer

Default Need Advice on Selling Collection of Large Plants

I may try that again, but when you put a $150 price on a $200+ Fica tree
that's 8' tall, 3" diameter trunk, that you can sit under in the shade, and
get not even one call, it's kind of discouraging. You can find these plants
in some nurseries and the prices are huge so one would think they are that
valuable, but very few folks want to pay for plants this big.

As I get older, I know why, because you have to deal with them in the
winter. The older you get, the bigger they get, and the heavier they get;)

Dan

"Hope Munro Smith" wrote in message
. 83...
"gribbee" wrote in
:

"Dan Lawyer" wrote in message
.. .
We are retired and trying to downsize so we can travel, which means

getting
rid of lots of plants which we have raised for the last 20+ years. A

couple
of years ago, I tried to sell a couple of huge Fica trees in the
paper,

but
it seems nobody wants big plants, or expects you to give them away.
I got

manager of a nursery to give me estimates on what they might be worth
if sold in his place, so I have an idea of fair prices, but not a
clue how to get it. I thought about trying a local auction on eBay,
but plants just don't seem to sell well there.

These are beautiful but large plants, including a Plumeria tree about
7' x 6' wide with about 40 branch tips, 7' Hibiscus trees(3), one
tri-color has about a 6' circumference, 7' False Aralia, 3' Ming
Aralia, 7' Pony Tail Palm, 5' Mediterranean Fan Palm w/six pups and
more.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get something decent for large
plants? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

You could ask that nursery manager to sell on consignment for a
healthy percentage of the sales price.

Maybe you could have a yard sale and advertise in the paper the types of
plants that you have?