Old 10-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Billy

Default Back Yard is like Swamp - Advice on Water Redirection

This is the site I was looking for. Thanks to all who helped!

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Billy" contains these words:

I'm not sure of what I need yet, because I do not understand how the

water
is arriving to my property - I mean does water travel beneath the ground

and
seep upward and downward or does it "ride" along the surface? If you

have a
site that explains how water collects and travels, I would be very happy

research, because I think that I need to be completely determine this

before
I attempt the drainage installations.

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:10:57 -0400, Billy wrote:

The good news is that I have a drainage easement on my property, and
there's a grate in the far corner of my yard to accept water if I

was to
redirect it to it. A Mason/Landscaper advised a buried perforated

pipe
and
crushed stone drainage system throughout the yard, at an incredible

cost.
He said he would draw out maps of the drain pipes, etc ... the whole

bit.

I want to know if anyone with this problem has tackled this, and if

there
is any DIY option. If you have any "how to" web sites or info on
installing this type of drainage system or regarding these types of

issues
and solutions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drainage.htm will answer all your
questions.

We've recently followed this excellent website's directions on the
kind of drain you describe, in our own soggy garden; we've still got a
section to finish but the completed parts are working well. We dug the
channels ourselves by hand (not too hard, and we're mid-50's) so you
might not need to hire a digger.

Janet