Old 22-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Claudio Jolowicz

Default Are apple and peach genetically related (and how)?

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in
Are apple and peach genetically related (and how)?

[snip]

Iris Cohen schreef
Apples, peaches, & quince are all members of the rose family, Rosaceae.

[snip]

Apples, quince, and pears are closely related. Some authorities place

them
all in the genus Malus. They are known as pome fruits ...

[snip]

Anyway they are in the same subfamily, Maloideae, a coherent unit with
somewhat uncertain generic delimitation
+ + +
Peaches nowadays are placed in the genus Prunus, along

with cherries, almonds, plums, apricots, & all the other stone fruits.

They

cereoid+10 wrote in reply to my post:

| If by genetic affinity, you mean, can they be crossed to produce hybrids?
| The answer is no. They are in separate genera that are not interfertile.

thank you all.

family Rosaceae
subfamily Maloideae: Apples, quince, pears
genus [Malus: Apples, quince, pears]
- this is contested.
really, apples and pears belong to different genera

genus Prunus: Peaches, cherries, almonds, plums, apricots,
& all the other stone fruits

How does this taxonomy relate to the genomes of pear and apple?
I may have used the term "genetic affinity" incorrectly.

I wonder whether the genome of apple and pear tells us anything
about their evolutionary relationship? Is their striking ressemblance
due to fundamental genetic similarities?

do they perhaps share whole chromosomes, or a significant number of genes,
are there certain types of mutation which could explain that one is a
descendant of the other etc.? for example, colza combines the genomes of
two other plants which belong to different genera. (which resulted in the
fact that the chromosomes didn't pair out, and so the original genomes
where preserved in the colza genome.) is there any sort of genetic relation-
ship like this between pear and apple?

hm... hope I don't bother you ( too much :-) ).