Old 10-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Too Many Fish

My LFS told me of the easiest and supposedly least painful way to put Fish
to sleep is to put them in water and slowly freeze the water. I suspect the
coldwater reduces their metabolism, and puts them into a sleep they don't
wake up from.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"K30a" wrote in message
Your pond is too small to support a 'hit fish'.
Bullfrogs will wipe out your entire fish population but are very unpopular

in
Oregon and might even be illegal to buy now.
Call your local pet store that sells fish.
Ask if they would like to take them.
There is a serious problem with soft hearted
folks releasing goldfish into the natural water
ways. There may be a law in Oregon that compels the pet stores to take in
unwanted
fish.

A quick death for the fish would be much easier than an overcrowded pond

gone
toxic.

I saved this post and it will give you instructions if you can't find a

home
for the extra fish --
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subject: humane way of killing excess goldfish?

Not a popular subject as you can see but I will provide info. that you may
find useful. Any flamers can keep comments to themselves :}
After exhausting the obvious 'give away/sell' options, I have had to cull
koi and goldfish this year particularly. Their size was small, up to 1"

max
for most part. I did use following method on them as well as a sick 5 in.
goldfish.
I used some clove oil (amount depends on number of fish/water) mixed with
just enough rubbing alcohol to dissolve it (1/2 teaspoon). Place fish in
bucket with just enough water to barely cover them, add the mix. They

should
die really quick, within seconds. If you want to be sure they are dead and
not just knocked out, you can then freeze them solid to make sure. I used

bag and freeze smaller fish but find this clove method quicker and

possible
more humane. Larger fish can be placed on harder surface and beheaded with

flat head shovel. This method tends to stay with you. I got my clove oil
cheap online from sanfrancisco herb co. You may find it locally. For 60 or
so small fish at a time I would use a couple teaspoons max. of clove oil

w/
alcohol.
Good luck. In future, when you notice fish spawning, withhold food for a
couple days, the fish will eat most of the eggs. Floating plants can be
removed and eggs picked off. Baby fry can be netted and put down early.

One
comment on give-aways to pet stores. Unless your fish are special, they
usually end up as feeders for other fish in someone's aquarium.

k30a