Old 10-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Donna

Default Question About The Black Walnut Myth

(Laura) wrote:

New to the site but decided to share my own family's experience with a
black walnut. My father has a black walnut that is at least 30 years
old and it is planted near (just behind it about 5 ft.) his vegetable
garden. As the tree grows the garden decreases in size. He is unable
to grow vegetables on the end of the garden that is closest to the
black walnut.

Welcome Laura. The black walnut/wild cherry tree in my parents' yard
is over 30 years old. When we moved there in 1968, the limbs of both
trees were already too tall for us kids to reach and climb, but the
trunk would have held us if we could have. It's in the front yard on
one side of the driveway near the road, almost bordering a neighbor's
field/pasture. The neighbor has grown corn, millet and hay in the
field successfully, but those are the only farm-type plants other than
Mom's early tomato plants that I've seen anyone even try to grow near
the tree.