Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Joe Morris

Default Slugs and beer!

I just started using the beer for slugs approach using a tuna can sunk flush
with the soil level. Did not catch any the first night. Topped off the can
tonight to try again.

Regards,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

"Christopher Hamel" wrote in message
om...
Buzzy wrote in message

Hi All,
I just went outside and checked my slug traps made with margarine
containers and beer and I've caught about a dozen so far. It works
great!! Of course, I've been enjoying the other four bottles of brew
from a six pack while I've been slug hunting and I was wondering, is
there anything I can use as a substitute for beer in the containers
considering it's pretty expensive for beer here in southwestern Ontario?
Maybe yeast and water (assuming that it's the brewers yeast that
attracts them). Thanks!

Buzzy

Another thought... the butter container.

My fear is with the butter container, you're attracting only two types
of slugs:

1) the physically fit ones that work out routinely, strong enough to
climb up the slippery side
2) the real drunkards that are so determined to get free beer they
will find a way if it kills them (and it does). I have several Uncles
like this.

With a shallow container or plate, perhaps you'll encourage even the
moderate, "social drinking" slugs as well as the non-atheletic slugs
to stop in and have a drink. In this manner, you'll get more bang for
the buck, and your slugs killed per ounce of beer will go up, thereby
reducing overall costs.

Fortunately for me, I live in Texas where even the water fountains at
the local parks dispense beer (although you have to let it run for a
while before it's cold), so cost is not an issue. I tried the
beer-slug-trap once, five years ago, but the sight of the bloated,
dead slugs swimming in beer was a little more than my stomach could
handle.

Hard to believe some people eat those things.