Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Cass

Default Question about pruning roses

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Trier sounds like my kinda rose. I read somewhere that a lot of
the Trier sold in USA are Moonlight. What do I know. I grow
Moonlight, and it taint nearly as big as you Trier. Wide and
layered, not big and tall.

Wow, what a scam, what a travesty, I grew Moonlight for several
years actually. A few years back I moved a bunch of roses and
dropped the level of this one area down to its original level. I
left Moonlight to its fate which it finally met last year. The
stickiness and the flowers, to some degree, are similar, I guess
they'd have to be. heheh. Seriously I used to pamper that
thing--and it's unforgiving and a mean sob-- but it just never
wanted to grow, never appreciated all those times I pulled the
tall grass outa the beeeeitch. And watered it special. Moonlight,
a rose named Moonlight should be a no-brainer, should kill
everything under it, not have to worry about gd grass. I think I
was taken in by the line in the catalog that went something like
'lights up the night garden like searchlights'.

Yeah, some northern roser used to wax poetic about Moonlight in the
night garden. Smells good. How the hell did he keep it alive, you
wonder. HM's aren't terribly hardy, Regina tells me.

I either got the HM attribution wrong or the Regina attribution wrong.
She tells me she isn't responsible for this nugget, so either she and I
were talking about something else or it was someone else. How's that
for great authority for a proposition? Somewhere that stuck in the data
banks, but I'll be damned if I know where I heard it.

every aspect of Moonlight was a surprise and disappointment.

Not a great rose, but it has the most horizontal, layered, make like an
Egyptian look of any rose I grow. Would look good in Martha Stewarts
garden. eg

I will
faithfully cultivate any rose I plant, meaning I will keep the tall
grass generally out of its face while it's getting extablished, but
at some point I expect the rose to help me out some. This one was
simply content with bloodying my knuckles and the reward was way
below the bottom line of what was necessary. So I left it to its own
designs, which were totally predictable. I think names like
Moonlight should be reserved for roses which grow everywhere there's
moonlight. After this experience, right or wrong, I have left all
Hybrid Musks on the catalog pages. It's one of the more ambiguous
rose classifications in the first place-- the parentage of Moonlight
is Trier x Sulphurea. Trier is a Hybrid Multiflora and Sulphurea is
a Tea. So where's the Musk? Tea Roses aren't particularly known for
their hardiness? hahahaha

I thought the bunch were derived from Trier. Lambertinianas. Next time
we turn around the ARS is going to reclassify them as small flowered
shrubs. I like them, every one. Even Buff Beauty was good this year,
14 inches tall and 7 feet around pos. For me, HM's smell the best on
the air of all roses. From 12 feet, 15 feet if it's hot.

good god. I heard a grown cottonwood does 2500 gallons a day.

Ya think? They're always the first to go when the water table drops,
but I never knew for sure whether it was that or simply that they're
not long lived. Everywhere the Mormons settled in the desert west, the
planted cottonwood along the river and stream beds. Many many are dead
and dying.

the year we moved here I thought 'what a pretty little weed' and
better that than nothing. That lasted not very long.

And my family is worried about ants.

have you heard about the peanut butter remedy? I haven't tried it,
have been meaning to.

No, and how do you keep the dog from eating it, whatever it is?