Old 10-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Zizz

Default Suggestions for replacing my eucalyptus

"anton" wrote in message

Zizz wrote in message ...

I've had a look at the small trees and they seem to be in the region of
20-30 feet rather than 10-20 feet apart from the acer palmatums which
wouldn't do well in a sunny, windy site, so I'm starting to look at
medium/large shrubs now
I don't want something with spines/thorns!
I do want something that can be trained similar to a tree or where the

lower
branches can be cut out to lift the plant and bring a little light to

plants
underneath and that has foliage that won't blend into my green fencing!
I think I might be asking too much here.Of the eucalypts that appeal as a
replacement for my sad looking one the following have potential:

Eucalyptus debeuzevillei (Jounama Snow Gum)

Beautiful range of colours on the young shoots: can be
a bit slow. I've got one that's rather sheltered and grown at
maybe 2ft/year, and a couple that have been rather windswept and are more
like 1ft/year. As there's such a small sample
there could be other reasons for the difference in growth rate though.

--
Anton

I read that 1ft a year is average, it's probable that the sheltered postion
one is doing better because of the shelter.