Old 22-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Are apple and peach genetically related (and how)?

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes
You are braver than I am.
I first took down Judd &al. and decided it was not safe to speak in general
terms about subfamilies in the Rosaceae, except Maloideae, which apparently
is a close natural unit.
PvR

From the 1st edition it seems to me that Rosoideae, Amygdaloideae and
Maloideae are all sensible groups; it's Spiraeoideae which is the
problem area. (Then again, not all the cladograms in Judd et al are
correct.) Perhaps Spiraeoideae will get chopped into pieces in the next
revision, with maybe a little extension to the others.

PS: Really nitpicking, it is best not to mix Greek and Latin in one term, so
preferably it is either "monotypic" or "unispecific" ...

Google: 67 hits for unispecific; 8420 for monospecific. (And 9880 for
monotypic.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley