Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default First-time Garener Reflections

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 20:02:39 GMT, "Seeker"
wrote:

Anyway, the neighbors have said that we have rabbits in the area. Any idea
how I can keep them away? Mothballs around the perimeter?

The *only* way I know to keep rabbits out of a garden is to
fence the garden. Chicken wire with 1" mesh, two feet high,
has always worked for me. It's pretty cheap, and you can
just staple or tack it to wooden stakes.

They've never bothered tomatoes in my experience...but
they'll surely eat up your lettuce and other greens.

Tips on organic fertilizers/frequency? I used some peat moss and Nutrabrew
initially, on the advice of the local garden store. Thanks in advance.

I use fish emulsion - available in garden stores. There are
a lot of kinds though. How much fertilizer, and the
frequency depends on what you're growing.

I'd suggest you get a couple of basic books on gardening
from your library. I recommend 'Square Foot Gardening' by
Mel Bartholomew - but remember if you read it, his way is
*not* the only way to do things. I use a lot of his ideas,
and modify some of them to fit my own circumstances.

Pat