Old 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Too Many Fish

This method has been debated, and I guess is better than nothing. However,
whereas the water temp reduces the fish's metabolism and slows it down, the
water temp usually drops faster than the metabolism. That means that the
external surfaces of the fish freeze before the body shuts down. First to
freeze are eyes and fins, followed by gills. Personally, I imagine that
crystalized eyes would be rather painful (and I don't want to get into a
debate about whether or not fish feel pain: I prefer to err on the side that
they DO, rather than that they DON'T). An overdose of MS-222 is *always*
fatal, as is decapitation. Oil of Clove is a gentle way of easing the fish
out (and easier to obtain), but not quite as effective as MS-222: ensure
that the fish has been left in the tank - without any movement whatsoever -
for an hour or so to ensure death: otherwise, it may just be sleeping . . .
I wonder why they can't come up with fishy birth control??? It's so much
easier to prevent than to deal with the ramifications of uncontrolled
breeding . . .

Lee

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
My LFS told me of the easiest and supposedly least painful way to put Fish
to sleep is to put them in water and slowly freeze the water. I suspect

the
coldwater reduces their metabolism, and puts them into a sleep they don't
wake up from.

--
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: