Old 10-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Mike

Default Annoying Tree

In article , Nick Gray
writes
"Essjay001" wrote in message
Paul Kelly wrote:

Almost certainly the tree will be covered by a Tree Preservation
Order (TPO) which means you are not allowed to do anything at all to
the tree without the prior approval of the local authority.

Why would this tree "Almost certainly" be covered by a TPO? Is it because

it
is in London or Hamersmith or just because it is in a small garden.

Because most trees with a trunk over a certain diameter can have a TPO
applied to them - see
http://www.doeni.gov.uk/planning/Inf...let/treepo.htm

BTW That information is from 1997 - the fine is now £20,000!!

Cheers

Nick

Before we all go running around with our arms in the air yelling "Oh my
God. TPO don't touch it", trees with TPO's CAN be trimmed. We have just
had 109 Holmoaks, each with TPO's on, trimmed. We have also had the TPO
Officer down to our plot of land and said which trees have TPO's on and
must stay, and which ones have a TPO on and can be felled, not trimmed,
felled.

And as for trees with a certain diameter 'Automatically have a TPO on'
as implied, we have some pretty big ones which are coming down, 'with
the blessing of the TPO Officer'

BUT, get the TPO Officer in and then get it in writing as to what can
and cannot be done. And a copy of this notice 'must' be with everybody
on site when work is being done. I photocopied our OK so that the JCB
driver could have his own copy.

Another BUT, we had a sub committee meeting last night and arranged that
the big trees to be lopped, thinned, topped or felled 'must' be done by
competent contractors with the appropriate insurance.

Guideline form our TPO Officer on any old tree, "I want to see that it
will still be in good condition in at least 10 years time'. This was in
reference to some trees which are in a bit of a bad state and had
branches falling across others.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more