Old 10-06-2003, 05:08 PM
John Rutz

Default Garbage Can Clay Filter

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip

My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I

mean,

should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

snip

-- when I had my barrel filters I found that in at the bottom and out
near the top worked best the clay (Heavy stuff) stayed at the bottom
and the filter media caught a lot of the fines the beg problem was
channeling so had to clean quite often cheapest way to connect is a
couple of pvc sewer conectors for bulkheads

see my barrel filters or Jan Jordans demon pond filter for how to do it

snip

I was thinking the same, but worried that the inflow would constantly be
stirring up the settled clay. It won't? As for the construction...I'll check
the bulkheads. I was going to go even simpler, and build a few beckal boots
around flexible hose just jammed into holes cut in the cans. Maybe a dash of
silicon to seal it. Like I said, once the clay is out, these filters will
get tossed out. If they leak a little, that should be too big of a deal.

Do you think one can would do it? or should I go with two?

BV.

go with two if you can
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com