Old 10-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Annoying Tree

"Mike" wrote in message

BUT, get the TPO Officer in and then get it in writing as to what can
and cannot be done. And a copy of this notice 'must' be with everybody
on site when work is being done. I photocopied our OK so that the JCB
driver could have his own copy.

Another BUT, we had a sub committee meeting last night and arranged that
the big trees to be lopped, thinned, topped or felled 'must' be done by
competent contractors with the appropriate insurance.

Guideline form our TPO Officer on any old tree, "I want to see that it
will still be in good condition in at least 10 years time'. This was in
reference to some trees which are in a bit of a bad state and had
branches falling across others.

Quite correct, Mike. TPO officers are (generally) very helpful.
Trimming/crown lifting normally goes through almost on the nod. Removal -
for all but venerable ancient trees - will also be considered favourably if
the tree(s) are causing problems. But a quid pro quo will often be sought in
the form of new tree(s) planted to replace any removed.

but, as you say get the TPO officer involved as they sometimes come down
hard if the law is flouted.

pk