Old 23-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default one more new book

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel writes

I assume the following is the publisher's blurb.

For botanists, zoologists, palaeontologists (palaeobotanists),
protistologists, molecular biologists, all interested in botanical and
zoological nomenclature and phylogenetic systematics.

The book contains the phylogenetic system of all plants from plant-like
procaryotes, lower plant-like protistan organisms, algae, and fungi to
mosses and higher vascular plants. Each family of plants is briefly
characterized with diagnosis, provided a full synonymy from 1753 (omitted
invalidly published, descriptive and illegitimate names), in some cases
detailed infrafamilial classification is presented. The Syllabus covers all
known plants, including fossil, for the period of cca. 4700 million years
(from Precambrian to Extant), described from the starting point of botanical
nomenclature (Linnaeus' Species Plantarum, 1753). The New Syllabus
supersedes the world known 'Syllabus der Pflanzenfamilien', which has been
initiated by the German botanist Adolf Engler in 1892 and which served as a
main source of systematic botany for the nearly half of 20th century.
5 kingdoms of plants (aggregated into subempire Chlorota) and kingdom of
fungi (treated as belonging to Zoota (Opisthokonta) subempire of Eukaryotes)
contain cca. 7500 validly published names of families, orders, superorders,
(sub-) classes as on Jan, 2003, including for the first time revised and
summarized fossil suprageneric names. A revised, brief system of Eukaryota
is also added with 481 analogous suprageneric names: the Eukaryota is
considered as a domain (empire) of organisms, splitted into two subdomains,
Chlorota (plant-like organisms aggreagted into 5 kingdoms) and Zoota
(animals and fungi in 6 kingdoms). More than 120 new suprageneric names

From what I read, splitting the Eukaryotes into plant-like and animal-
like groups is not supported by the evidence. See, e.g. Tree of Life,
for details. Animals, plants, fungi and chromists (stramenopiles) are
all crown eukaryotes. I'm guessing that this book covers taxa from at
least three kingdoms - plants, fungi and chromists: three plant kingdoms
might be green plants (with green algae), rhodophytes and glaucophytes,
but I think one has to dig into Chromista to find the others.

I can find 4 groups of opisthokonts which might be granted the rank of
Kingdom - animals (Animalia, Metazoa), (most traditional) Fungi,
choanoflagellates (Choanozoa) and microsporidians - but some sources say
that microsporidians are fungi. Myxozoa are secondarily unicellular
metazoans. Perhaps Ancyromonadida is a fifth kingdom. The sister group
to Opisthokonta appears to be Mycetozoa (cellular and plasmodial slime
molds).

(from family to phyla) are validated according to provisions of both
International Codes of Botanical and Zoological Nomenclature. A
comprehensive bibliography (approx. 1700 entries) covers all papers and
books in which all summarized suprageneric names for the period of cca. 250
years (since 1753)have been validly published.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley