Old 10-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Phisherman

Default hard packed soil (clay)

You can purchase gypsum at most garden centers. It is a little on the
expensive side, but application is very easy--just spread it over the
ground. Adding compost to clay soil will help it more than sand
(although sand is okay but it has no nutrients).

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:44:54 -0500, Carl e Roberts
wrote:

15 yrs ago I added 24 cu yds of white sand to my yard (here in Memphis).
(The neighbors thot I was building a beach). We are on the downward side
of a slight slope and this sand definitely has helped with drainage and
has improved our soil overall. Recently this spring we tilled about
400sq. ft of new flowerbeds and I was amazed at the variety of soil
types in various locations of the yard. Some in full sun, partial shade,
the "upside" of our yard, and the "downside" all with different types of
soil. (I am going to take a small break from this sand issue to say for
the benefit of some-I have also added other "amendments" to the soil
such as lime,compost,organic matter,etc. ). Here (finally) is the issue:
The area where we have a small garden after tilling and planting this
spring is showing signs of hard packed soil. The sand is still mixed
with the clay but the clay still "hardpacks" after a good rain. I have
two compost piles "working" and intend this fall to incorporate large
quantities of organic matter (grassclippings/shredded newspaper) into
this garden spot. My question is this: I am wondering whether to add
more sand to help with the breakup of the clay or maybe gypsum is the
answer here- I am not very familiar with this product what exactly is
"gypsum" and how/when is this product added? where can gypsum be
purchased?