Old 24-02-2003, 01:30 AM
Vcoerulea

Default A Twist

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
OK, you guys, wake up. I have a question. Any orchid grower will tell you

that
hybrids between Sophronitis & other members of the cattleya alliance

almost
always have a quarter to half twist in the leaves. My experience in sewing
leads me to speculate that they didn't fit the front of the leaf to the

back
properly. Does anybody have a botanically more correct explanation?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

I don't know either, but I've also seen it in my epiphronitis. Your
speculation seems quite logical but why is another question. And why
sophronitis? I haven't grown a pure sophronitis anything due to our hot
climate, but with our recently upgraded cooling system I plan to soon.
Please post if your searches turn up anything.