Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
John Rutz

Default Garbage Can Clay Filter

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message

BenignVanilla wrote:

OK gang, time to be McGyver as someone suggested in another thread. I am
getting this damn clay out of my pond this month. I plan to take a

couple of

garbage cans and use them as settling chambers.

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter

just

for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans

that

I can destroy.

My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I

mean,

should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

My suggestions: get a piece of pvc (minimun 2"), drill a
few holes at one end. Stand upright (holes at the bottom)
in garbage can filled with quilt batt or whatever. Pump
water into the the pvc and allow the water to overflow into
the pond. Hows that?

That would rock. I have some PVC lieing around already. I could stand this
can up in my VF, pump water from there and let it flow back into the pond.

I think this is a winner. It would require me only having to seal one hole
for a hose for the output.

Anyone else have comments?

BV.

--
sounds real good to me go for it

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com