Old 24-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Default A Twist

I haven't grown a pure sophronitis anything due to our hot climate, but
with our recently upgraded cooling system I plan to soon. Please post if your
searches turn up anything.

I have a warm plant room. The only red minicatt I can grow is Frank's
Valentine, which is not terribly great. I have a magnificent Sophronitis
Arizona cross, Sc. Mini Collins 'Pink Sherbert', HCC/AOS. I was told that S.
Arizona is more heat tolerant than straight S. coccinea.

If you have any rupicolous Laelias, you can tell people you are now growing
Sophronitis. I have a Jungle Elf cross that recently reached maturity &
bloomed. Sure enough, the adult leaves have that same twist.
It's not the Coriolus Effect. My Frank's Valentine has some leaves going one
way & some the other way.
We'd better continue this off the group or in the Orchid Digest, before the
rest of the botanists get after us for talking a foreign language.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)