Old 10-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Doug Kanter

Default How Often to Water Flower Garden?

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know how often that I should water my flower garden.

Here's a precise answer: It depends.

It depends on lots of individual factors, and how they interact.

What kinds of plants are you growing? Some plants droop in mid-day no matter
how much water they get, because we try and grow things in climates they're
not designed for. Others can take a beating that would kill most people.
Marigolds, zinnias and portulaca are some good examples.

What's the soil like, in terms of drainage and water retention? Are you
using a mulch? If so, what kind?

What are the microclimates like around your property? In other words, some
flowers may be in beds up against the house. At my house, there can be a 3
hour downpour and some of the beds still remain bone dry. Other beds get
rain, but much more wind than others, so they dry out faster than the beds
in other spots.

Really, the best way to determine watering needs is to observe the plants
themselves, and stick your fingers down into the soil up to your knuckles.
If it's beginning to feel dry at that depth, it's time to water. If you grab
a handful of soil from *BELOW* the surface and squeeze it into a ball, it
should stay together, but crumble as easily as cake when you break it up.