Old 10-06-2003, 08:20 PM
V_coerulea

Default Lava Rock

Yes, I use it for everything from vandas to dendrobiums, ascocentrums and
aerides to sarcochilus and renanthera. I've heard that the red can cause
iron problems. But if you wash it real well, much of the red washes off (I
think they color it with red clay). I take a web flat, line it with 1/4"
hardware cloth, pour in enough rock to cover the bottom, let it soak for a
few minutes, and then dunk it up and down in a washtub-like container used
for mixing cement in by hand (Lowe's or HD). The stuff that goes through can
be re-screened using window screen for rock to use with seedlings. Likewise,
larger hardware cloth can give you a different size screening. None of this
takes very long to give you a good supply of. rock to use for your plants. A
bag takes me 20-30 min to wash and sort depending on what else I'm doing at
the time.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Yes, it's fine. Best to rinse it well, otherwise it's very dusty.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Debra Lewis" wrote in message
I ran across some bags of lava rock used for landscaping borders at Home
Depot the other day. Can you use this for orchids? If so, does it need
any special prepping or treating?

Thanks,
Debra