Old 10-06-2003, 08:32 PM
V_coerulea

Default Fescue in Mid-South GA?

Especially if you can water or have some moisture-rentive soil, centipede is
a top choice. Centipede will do well in sun also but may loose out to
competition from bermuda or bahia. In sun I've have zoysia beat out bermuda
and bahia. I live in the sand hills region of SC near Augusta GA. I think
centipede is your best choice.
"brianb" wrote in message
m...
My lot is shaded pretty well. Not 100% but I'd say on average it gets
50% sunlight with some at the edges getting less.

Previous grass was Bermuda, but it's almost all gone. It did very
poorly in the shade.

My choices for new grass are something like Fescue, Zoysia,
Carpetgrass, and St. Augustine. St. Augustine has no seeds and is not
really an "attractive" grass.

I want a lawn that is low maintenance but most importantly thick and
soft.
The grass on the side of the road looks better than what I have. I'd
plant that, I think it's called "carpetgrass" but I can't find any in
the stores.

I only have about 2,000 sq feet (most of my .9 acres is
woods...different story), and am looking to plant from seed. Watering
is no problem with such a small lot, neither is fertilizer.

I plan to kill the whole lawn (most of which is weeds), then roto-till
it under, mix in about 10 yards of topsoil, and some "loam" or
something, then rake it flat and plant seeds. I'll put down
fertilizer with a 1-1-1 ratio before hand.

Does this sound plausible?

I plan to plant fescue...I've heard it's good in the shade. My only
issue is that it gets to be 95 and humid with nighttime lows of 70-72
degrees for a week at a time in the summer. Not Florida humidity but
dew points of upper 60s (as opposed to Florida of mid 70s). Is that
too hot for fescue? On the other hand my lot is in the country, high
on a hill, and reasonably well shaded, so it's a little cooler. If I
water it alot in the summer will this keep fescue alive? Or will
"burn" it out faster?

Thanks for any advice whatsoever.