Old 10-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Sean Houtman

Default superior farming when 2 cash crops Renewable Farming(with

From: Archimedes Plutonium

"Fred B. McGalliard" wrote:
(snipped)

Boy it has been a long time since I learned this. I hope I recall it
correctly. Clover, and I think the other similar legumes, have a symbiotic
bacteria, in clover it is found in little nodules on the roots, that fix
nitrogen. So if you can keep the roots from competing too much with your
other crop, you can grow the two crops together and the nitrogen is
available as long as the bacteria lives.

Someone suggested that the nitrogen in clover, or alfalfa or legumes or
locust trees is not released to other plants until the legume dies. I do not
believe that. But nonetheless we need a thorough science investigation as to
the correct answer on nitrogen release to nearby plants from legumes.

Many nitrogen fixing legumes will shed their nodules in periods of particular
stress. At those times, the miniscule amounts of Nitrogen available in the
nodules will become available to other plants. In some instances, such as a
plentiful supply of soil nitrogen, they won't form the nodules at all.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;
http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage