Old 11-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default keeping pests from cantaloupe and tomatoes

"FarmerDill" wrote in message

Never had any luck with basil and cilantro repelling any insects, Basil in
partcicular does grow well with tomatoes tho. Aphids have never been a

problem
for me on either tomatoes or cantaloupes, but then I have always been in

the
south where aphids are a cool weather problem. Only two major insect

problems
over some 60 years with tomatoes, Thrips, which carry the spotted wilt

virus
and red spidermites which can do a number on ypur plants without carrying
anything. Cantaloupes, the striped cucumber beetle is the adversary.

Wilts,
blights and other fungal/viral diseases are a much greater threat than

insects
in my case,

Thrips? Red spidermites? Striped cucumber beetle? I'm just going to
pretend I didn't read any of that, so I won't worry about them =:-o~! I
tend to be a worrywart about everything and I really wanted to protect my
babies from harm! What you don't know won't hurt you!

rona