Old 11-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default keeping pests from cantaloupe and tomatoes

"Colin Malsingh" wrote in message

- I have used Basil plants successfully in a greenhouse and believe
that they are thought to be good for deterring aphids. Of course I
can't say that I would have been affected if I hadn't used them....

- Some people recommend using Garlic as a companion plant for
Tomatoes. Apparently, they garlic doesn't seem to benefit, but the
tomatoes are better for having the garlic there (not pests, just
general vigour). I haven't tried this but hey, it's one more
ingredient sorted for your Salsa....

I love garlic, too! But I thought it was too late to plant it, so I didn't
bother with them. Maybe I'll just stick a few cloves in the ground just to
see what happens...

- The usual companion plants for combatting aphids are French
Marigolds and Limanthes. I think this is because of their attraction
for Ladybugs.

I'll keep that in mind for next year. We're staying away from flowers this
year, since we have no clue about them (not like we have a clue about
tomatoes, cantaloupes, and herbs, but they seemed a bit easier to manage).

One other person suggested buying Ladybugs to breed & disperse. I did
this a few weeks back but have not been successful at keeping the
eggs/larvae alive.

We do get ladybugs here, so hopefully if I ever get aphids, they'll come and
save me. One can always hope!

Thanks for the advice!

rona