Old 11-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Garbage Can Clay Filter

I challenged you to McGyver something up, I am glad you are coming back to
the BV we know and love!

Here is my 2cents from 1st hand experience (don't ask).

A couple of trash cans. Place the cans on concrete blocks such that at
least the top 12-18 inches is above your water level!

Pump water to the bottom of the cans using pvc or flex hose from the top,
but the hose or pvc extends all the way to the bottom. (9" from the bottom
actually to reduce stirring up the settled material. Fill the darn trash
can with polyester batt (Cheap from Wal-Mart. $1.95 a bag. Will need tops
10 bags for both cans).

Cut holes on the side of the trash cans just above the pond water line so
that the water can spill back out (This means you pick up your water from
the other end from where the trash cans are placed.)

When batt is full of clay, take cans out, empty can and batt. Fill can with
new batt, and let it cycle again. You can thank us later for helping you
retain your position as the CPO of the community pond!

3-5 days you are clayless! If this does not work, then you will need the
exorcist to cast the demon out of your clay!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...
OK gang, time to be McGyver as someone suggested in another thread. I am
getting this damn clay out of my pond this month. I plan to take a couple

of
garbage cans and use them as settling chambers.

I am looking for some opinions on design. As this is a temporary filter

just
for the clay, I am looking to do it cheap. I have two old garbage cans

that
I can destroy.

My primary question now is how should the water flow? Up or down? I mean,
should I pump water into the bottom of the can, fill the can with filter
media, and have it overflow out the top or vice versa?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond