Old 11-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Travis

Default Question On Cedars

Louis Leciejewski wrote:
I live in the Chicago area and have a couple of questions regarding
Cedars.

I have quite a few Cedar Evergreen Trees on my property and for the
past two weeks I have noticed quite a few branch tips have turned
brown. I never saw
this before and I see it in my older Cedars and the young ones alike.
What
causes this?

While on the subject of Cedars, what is the best way to propagate
them? I like them allot and would like to start more from possible
some branch "tip" cuttings and rooting hormone powder. Is this the
best way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I love these Cedar Trees and have
had them for a bit over 20 years since my Dad brought them as
"babies" to me where he used to fish. These are the Cedars that are
seen so commonly along the roadsides/highways. Should these be
fertilized or sprayed every year?

My cedar trees always have lots of little trees around them from the seeds
droping in the ground. I don't know about fertilizing, I don't water or
fertilize mine but they are mature.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5