Old 11-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Susan Solomon

Default Moving a climber

"Scopata Fuori" wrote in message

" No, Tim. It is much better to bare root an older, established rose
because it is then POSSIBLE to move the thing without a backhoe.

Part of my dilemma in this situation, if you look at the pictures, the

roots
are close to the sidewalk. So it makes it tough to dig it out and leave

much
dirt on it.

I know, it's "just" Blaze. But that thing suffered one blackspot season
after another, didn't bloom at all until I discovered our phosphorus
deficiency, and is just now looking like a rosebush, once I discovered
Banner Maxx and Messenger. Roses sure don't come cheap, do they?

I will try to leave as much dirt as possible around it, and pull it on the
yard wagon to its new home, about twenty five feet away. If it doesn't

make
it, I will be sad, but it's not an irreplaceable variety. I was hoping to

be
able to dig far enough down by hand, to bend the main root backwards, then
strip off all the lower leaves, fill the raised bed, and let the lower

part
of the plant (where it used to have lower leaves) turn into roots.

We shall see.

Scopata Fuori

Good luck, Scopata... I think you'll be happy to find that it survives. Most
climbing roses seem to be pretty tough. I suggest that you give it partial
shade with shade cloth or cardboard for several days after you move it to
its new home, especially if you're planting it in full sun.

I successfully moved a 20-yr old Tempo climber two years ago, first digging
it out from between the house and driveway then putting it into a 15 gal.
pot where it lived for a year, then putting it into the ground 4 months ago.
Couldn't get much dirt with the rootball, and lost most of the roots since I
had to use a pry bar to get the darn thing out of the ground. (And the
sucker was HEAVY!!) But I kept it damp and shaded for a while and cut back
the canes to about 2'. It seemed to adapt well; it's now on an arch in full
sun, and is growing and blooming beautifully - better than it ever did by
the house.

Sue in SoCal