Old 11-06-2003, 08:09 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default superior farming when 2 cash crops Renewable Farming(with

10 Jun 2003 19:42:41 GMT Sean Houtman wrote:

Many nitrogen fixing legumes will shed their nodules in periods of particular
stress. At those times, the miniscule amounts of Nitrogen available in the
nodules will become available to other plants. In some instances, such as a
plentiful supply of soil nitrogen, they won't form the nodules at all.

Sean

Yes, thanks for the information. A few days ago I dug up some Trefoil to
see what nodules there are. Found many.

Question: if we see a nodule on a plant then are we guaranteed that the plant
fixes nitrogen with the proper bacterium? I wonder about the practice
of the application of inoculants of bacteria. So, if the legume has nodules is
proof that the field has nitrogen fixing bacteria on those legumes?

I wonder about locust trees. I have dug up the roots of a few but never
found anything resembling nodules. The roots are sort of orange colored
outer surface. Is the reason they are orange colored because of nitrogen
fixing bacteria?

Question: what does one look for in locust tree roots for the nitrogen fixing
component?

Question: do locust trees emit some sort of herbicide akin to what blackwalnut
emits as juglone?

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies