Old 11-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Druss

Default Help! Lavender out of control

"buttonsmum" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone advise what is the best way to deal with a lavender plant that

is
growing out of control. It is about 3 years old and has grown quite big.
The top of the stem has plenty of leaves and buds but the lower part is
quite woody and bare, is this because it hasn't been cut back properly?

Should I divide this up into smaller plants? If yes when and how is best

do it?

All help appreciated as I am only a novice at gardening.

I am experimenting on one of my lavender bushes this year, it had suffered
quite extenisve die back, and when I ripped it out I noticed that one branch
was still alive, and well supplied with green/grey leaves. I dug a nice
large hole, cut off all the dead wood, and put this lavender back in the
hole, only about a foot deeper than it had been. Figured I had nothing to
lost, and since it's part of a lavender hedge, it would be nice if the same
plant would survive. Well thus far it's looking good, yes it's currently a
bit short, about a foot oddly enough!, but it does seem to be growing.

Maybe you could try something similar, I wanted to know whether the plant
would root from the old, now buried wood, and whether it'd grow on nicely.

Duncan