Old 11-06-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Fig Trees - progress reports?

I was just wondering how everyone was doing?

I had a Brown Turkey growing for years up the side of my house. When my
neighbour decided this year to put up a tall fence along that side and
therefore block out sun, I moved the fig. It was already growing in a buried
plastic pot, about 45 cm wide and only 30 cm deep. However, it had managed
to poke a couple of major roots thru the tub. The plant itself is around 3m
tall, growing in an almost fan shape.

I popped it into a very solid and heavy terracotta pot which measures 60 cm
wide and 60 cm tall. I topped it with gravel. The fig is now growing
un-supported between my and my other neighbour's garden. Makes a great
divider. And it's still 'flat' in profile, if you see what I mean. Still got
figs on it which will be ready this year, and new fig-lets which will be
ready next year.

My other figs (Rouge De Bordeaux and Fig D'Or) are still in the greenhouse,
being trained up as standards. They are also doing well, having both one
year and 2 year figs on them although they are still quite small (1m and
0.5m tall). The Rouge De Bordeaux has an extremely nice leaf, being very
dissected for a fig. Can't wait to try the fruit as they are both supposed
to be of superb flavour.

- h