Old 11-06-2003, 01:44 PM
animaux

Default Any permanent alternatives to organic mulch?

I'm not sure about rubber, but you can use decomposed granite. It will be hard
to penetrate once it establishes itself and becomes impermeable. Pea stones can
be used, but you chance losing them is a good gully wash comes through and you
are on a slope. The idea of mulch is to break down slowly and replenish the
soil with adequate food for micro and macro organisms. Is there a reason why
you want something permanent?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:54:50 GMT, "John" wrote:

Is there any alternatives to organic mulch that is "permanent?"
I am thinking (wild guess here) something like recycled tires,
platstics, etc that does not need to be replenished.
If there is an alternative, is it cost effective?
Where can I get it?
Is it as effective as organic mulch in water conservation and
weed control?
Any suggestion would be appreciated.